How to Apply for UK Student Visa from Outside of UK

How to Apply for UK Student Visa from Outside of UK

  • Nov 18

Our founder and team members were all international students at one point, so we know it might be challenging to apply for a student visa outside of the UK. To make the procedure as simple as possible, we have compiled all the information that you will need. 

These sections contain information for applicants and students who are beginning a new program and will be applying for a UK visa from outside the UK. It applies to students who are continuing a current course of study while requesting a new visa from outside the UK as well.

See our instructions for submitting a student visa application from within the UK if you are a new student and will be doing it there.

Here's the step by step process:


Step 1: You can start the application process as early as six months before the start of your programme

Step 2: To submit your paperwork, you must visit your local Visa Application Center. In case the visa application center is not located in your country, consider applying from the nearest neighboring country.

Step 3: Your fingerprints and picture will be taken at the visa application center. Be prepared for a possible interview as well

Step 4: Read the UKVI Student Visa advice before submitting your application to make sure you know what to do

Step 5: Fill out the online visa application form

You must pay the application fee as part of the application process. Check the cost of the visa application online. You can call UKVI if you have any questions regarding your visa application, but there is a fee for this service.

Application processing timeframes for visas

Online processing timeframes for visa requests varies from country to country, so check online for it. Always leave plenty of time for your visa application. If you need your visa quickly, you may be able to apply for a priority visa in some countries. Please check the services offered at your local Visa Application Center before you apply as not all of them offer a priority service.

Immigration Health Surcharge

An immigration health surcharge(IHS) is applied to all student visa requests for programs lasting longer than six months. While you are visiting the UK, you can use this to access the National Health Service (NHS). The Immigration Health Surcharge is a fee that you must pay while applying. Please see the UKVI page regarding the immigration health fee for more information.

Get Tested for Tuberculosis


You may be required to take a tuberculosis (TB) test if you want to stay in the UK for more than six months and are a citizen of a nation that does so. If your TB test results are clear, you will be granted a certificate that you can use to support your application for a student visa. This document is good for six months. Unfortunately, without this certificate, you will be unable to submit your Student Visa application.



You will submit your biometric information as part of the application procedure for a student visa (fingerprints and photograph). By UKVI, this is commonly referred to as "biometric enrolling." Your biometric residence permit will digitally save both your fingerprints and your photo (BRP). This card shows the period of your visa in full. Upon arrival in the UK, you can pick up your BRP.

Receiving the visa


Upon approval of your visa application, you will receive a short-term visa in your passport. You will be able to enter the UK using this document, known as a vignette. You must enter the UK within the allotted 30-day period because it is typically only valid for that length of time. Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), which is your actual visa and should be valid for the duration of your program, will be available for collection once you arrive.